Tuesday, September 28, 2010

TWD - Tarte Fine


This week’s TWD recipe is Tarte Fine and was chosen by Leslie of Lethally Delicious. In the book Dorie says that a tarte fine is also known as apple pizza in the States and it is essentially finely sliced apples baked on a flaky pastry base. This isn’t a recipe that I would have chosen to make as while I love apple pie, I love the shortcrust pastry version – but I am not really a lover of flaky pastry.

I actually made this recipe in a hurry last night. I had bought the flaky pastry in the weekend but for some reason didn’t get round to making the tart. I had bought a roll of ready rolled pastry, but then forgot to defrost it, so I ended up putting it in the microwave which I know is a huge no no when it comes to pastry, but it didn’t seem to have any real detrimental effect. I made the variation of the tart and instead of using an egg wash, I brushed the apples with melted butter and sprinkled over sugar. Even though I was sceptical as to whether I would like this tart or not, it was the perfect speedy dessert (it probably took 5 minutes in total to prepare), it was actually delicious with vanilla ice cream. See if the other TWDers enjoyed it here.

11 comments:

Cakelaw said...

It looks good Tammy - especially with a scoop of icecream. I was happy that this was speedy to make :)

Cindy said...

I just purchased the puff pastry, can't wait to make it. Yours looks delicious. Great job!

Leslie said...

This looks so delicious with your vanilla bean ice cream! I'm glad you managed to fit it in and enjoyed it. Thanks for baking with me this week!

Lisa said...

Yum. There's no better dessert than apple tart with a scoop of ice cream.

chocolatechic said...

Apple pizza is a great way to describe this.

It was just so good.

Mary said...

It looks wonderful with the ice cream melting on top. Glad you liked it after all!

Peggy said...

YOurs is one of the prettiest I have seen so far this morning! Great job.

Jeannette said...

speedy and tasty. sounds like a winner :)

Judy said...

It looks delicious, especially with the ice cream.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

i have actually never heard this called "apple pizza" before, so when i read that in the book, i laughed. you're right--it's a great speedy dessert...i wish i'd had some ice cream with mine!

Flourchild said...

I ate mine with ice cream too! Yours looks so yummy!