Thursday, September 30, 2010

Baby Food


My Mum has been saying to me for a while that she bets a lot of my blog readers would be interested in the food I make Harry. I said I think most of my readers are more into the baking side of things than the baby side of things, but I was talking to one of my good friends last week who has two gorgeous little girls and she said she thinks that people would be interested in ideas for baby food. So I have decided to do the odd post about food for babies.

Baking has always been my thing, but since Harry started on solids, I have found that I have a real love of and interest in food for babies. It is very exciting that he is almost 8 months, as a whole new world of food opens as he is able to have cooked milk from then. I actually introduced it a couple of weeks ago, as Harry is off the plunket scale in terms of weight and height, so as he is the size of a one year old, I figured two weeks early would be fine (and in the old days when I was a baby, babies drank whole milk at 6 months old and I am fine!).

There are two recipes I want to share. First is a very easy custard recipe. Tinned baby custard is actually yucky when you compare it to the home made version and the home made version is incredibly quick to make! All you do is combine 125ml of full fat milk in a small microwave jug with 2 tsp corn flour, ½ tsp vanilla, 1 egg yolk and I add ½ tsp sugar. Microwave on high for 1 minute, stir and then microwave again in 10 second bursts until the custard is thick. I then add some pureed fruit to give more sweetness and substance. This is delicious! Pureed pear is particularly nice.

The second recipe I made up in the weekend and is a chicken and cous cous concoction. I put ¼ c cous cous to soak in 1/3 c boiling water, covered and then set aside. I then softened ¼ onion, chopped in a little butter and then added 2 diced free range chicken thighs and browned them. Peel and chop a large kumara (sweet potato) and add to your pot. Cover with water and the juice of an orange and simmer until the kumara is cooked through. Blend the whole lot in a food processor until you get the desired consistency and then mix in your cous cous. It is surprising how tasty this is even without salt. I freeze the mixture in cubes and then bring them out when I need to. I also cook and blend green vegetables, freeze them in ice cubes and then bring out a cube of the required green vegetable to mix with my meat and starch base. Harry loves it!!

Please let me know if this post interested you – and credit to my gorgeous hand model Harry (excuse the blurriness though, as I had to take the photo quickly before he swiped the camera and the container of food!!)

6 comments:

Megan said...

This is a great post Tammy. Although my children are well out of the baby food stage any ideas then would have been welcome. I always fed mine more 'tasty' baby food too flavoured with garlic or herbs so I found them tasty enough and I'm sure that's why they have pretty good palates now. That canned baby food is pretty foul...except for the plain fruit which I used to buy. Good luck and keep on with the baby food posts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy, I have a 5 month old and would love to see more baby food ideas! Thank u :)
Ashlee

Anonymous said...

Hi, and thankyou for posting this! I always love reading your baking posts, but now I have a 4mth old any babyfood posts are most welcome too. Lucky Harry, thi all sounds delish! Thanks, Jodie

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy, this is awesome, love it! I never knew you had this blog, very cute, I will be checking in regularly for inspiration.
Thanks DebbieG

Nessie @ bakingequalslove said...

What cute little hands! Love hearing about your baby adventures and now baby food adventures! Sounds like so much fun coming up with foodie recipes for the wee one. Keep the kai for baby posts coming :) xox

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,

I have been reading your blog and getting loads of inspiration for baking. I have a 6 month old and I would love more posts on baby food.
Sarah