Tuesday, March 17, 2009

TWD - French Yoghurt Cake


This week Liliana of My Cookbook Addiction has chosen French Yoghurt Cake with Marmalafde Glaze as the TWD recipe. I was excited to make this after not liking last week’s recipe at all. Dorie says that this French yoghurt cake is a variation of the kind of cake that most French people would bake if they had to bake a cake. And, I can see why. This cake is easy to make and absolutely delicious. You could dress it up or down – it’s almost the little black dress of the cake world.

The cake is made in a loaf tin, but Dorie says you can also make it in a round tin and turn it into a layer cake. It is so easy to make as there is no creaming of butter etc. All you do is rub lemon zest into your sugar (which is a fantastic way of infusing your baking with the flavour of lemon – so much more effective than just adding the lemon zest), add yoghurt, eggs and the dry ingredients and then stir in some oil (I used rice bran oil which I always use when a flavourless oil is required). The dry ingredients include ground almonds which contribute to the moistness of the cake.

Once the cake has baked and cooled, you top it with a glaze of warmed and strained lemon marmalade. I didn’t have any lemon marmalade on hand and the only stuff I had is some home made marmalade which I made ages ago (we don’t eat it) and it seemed to thick to be bothered straining it. So, I used some quince glaze which I made last year to glaze the top of the cake. It gave it a nice glossy sheen. You could even leave the glaze off or pour over a lemon syrup which would be delicious.

I sliced up most of the cake for the tradesmen on our site, but ate one slice still slightly warm with some extra yoghurt. This cake would also make a great dessert served with whipped cream and fresh berries or a stone fruit compote, of if you had leftovers (which I doubt) it would make a fantastic base for trifle or a very rich bread and butter pudding. This is my new “go to” loaf recipe. See if the other TWDers loved it as much as I did here.

19 comments:

Marthe said...

Another great Dorie recipe, and easy to make as well!! I loved this one!

Anonymous said...

Your slice looks wonderful. Yes, I agree this was a great recipe. So easy, no butter so no waiting for it to come to room temperature.

Linda said...

I loved this cake as well. Your description of it being the little black dress of the cake world...my thoughts exactly. Great job!

Jules Someone said...

We loved this one. And yours looks great!

Di said...

That looks great, Tammy! I really enjoyed this week's recipe, too. I'll have to try the loaf version next time.

Judy said...

Your cake looks delicious. I agree that it can be dressed up in many ways. Whipped cream and strawberries would be a tasty choice.

Cakelaw said...

This cake is indeed the LBD of the cake world - and yours looks delicious.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

looks fantastic! i loved this one, too!

Amanda said...

Looks wonderful! I LOVED this cake, it smelled so good while cooking and tasted wonderful :) I paired it with simple lemon curd. YUM!

Jayne said...

So pretty! I loved this cake, too!

kimberly salem said...

it looks great! glad you liked it so much! :) i was also happy about the simplicity/versatility of this one.

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

I'm glad you found your new "go-to" recipe! It looks great!


-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

Jennifer said...

This cake really is a keeper! Yours looks great!

Leslie said...

Well said...this IS the little black dress! I bet your workers were a happy bunch after sampling this beautiful little cake!

Peggy said...

I don't even know what quince is! I learn something on here every day. That's why I love cooking with you all so much! Loved this cake.

Morven said...

I've done the Ruth Pretty version of this French Yoghurt cake but have yet to try Dorie's. Yet another one to add to my must try list.

Elyse said...

This cake must be pretty good if it's becoming your "go to" recipe. I can't wait to try it. It looks so moist and delicious!

TeaLady said...

Loaf looks perfect. And yummy!

Engineer Baker said...

Aren't the simple and easy recipes wonderful? Yours looks just perfect too.