Tuesday, March 31, 2009

TWD - Coconut Butter Thins


This week’s TWD recipe is coconut butter thins chosen by Jayne, The Barefoot Kitchen Witch. These cookies turned out totally different to what I expected. Dorie’s description is that they are thin, lacy biscuits – I was imagining tuile type biscuits. In fact, these were more like shortbread. This may have been because I didn’t roll them as thinly as Dorie suggested. I think I liked them better as more substantial shortbread type cookies.

These biscuits were deliciously crisp and were made using coconut, chopped macadamia nuts and a pinch of ground coriander, something I never would have thought to add, but it really made the difference – a pinch was all that was needed to give the biscuits a taste of something extra. The recipe called for shredded coconut, but I used dessicated , as shredded would have been too big to get neatly cut out dough I think. Dorie said not to be scared to use salted macadamia nuts, so I wasn’t. Macadamia nuts are my all time favourite nut, so it took great self control not to just eat all the nuts before they made the cookie dough.

And talking about the cookie dough – it was delicious raw! I love raw cookie dough better than the cooked thing, and shortbread style cookie doughs are my favourite. I did put the cookies in the freezer before baking to try and keep the edges firm, but as with Dorie’s pecan shortbread, the cookies did spread a little. Not unattractively so, but next time I will make smaller shaped cookies.

I loved these and will make them again. See what everyone else thought here.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your cookies look gorgeous!! We loved, loved, loved them. Next time I'll roll them out thicker like you did.

Marthe said...

Your thins look absolutely wonderful! I rolled mine quite a bit thinner than you did, this does result in thinner cookies that are more lacy. I really liked the taste of them

Unknown said...

Oh my - this is what I thought they were supposed to look like (but mine spread much, much more). Beautiful!

Cakelaw said...

Lovely cookies Tammy - glad you liked the result (and the dough!).

Linda said...

I totally expected my cookies to look shortbread-like (like your perfect squares), but I ended up with something quite different. Regardless, I loved this recipe.

Fantastic job!

Mermaid Sews said...

I rolled mine like you did - but did not cut very carefully so they were different sizes in the end - and I just now realize I forgot the corriander - oops.

Elyse said...

I'm a huge fan of raw cookied dough, too :) These shortbread cookies (I think we can call them that) look delicious! I love your pinch of coriander. What a great surprise!

Hindy said...

Beautiful cookies! I also like to nibble on the dough.

vibi said...

ooooOOOOooooo! Tammy! Crazy perfect cookies!

Really happy you enjoyed them!

chocolatechic said...

These look fabulous!


Mine don't look as good.

Snooky doodle said...

these look so good!

Peggy said...

We loved these. Yours look wonderful! They were such easy cookies to make,weren't they?

angela@spinachtiger said...

Nice picture. I rolled mine in the bag and they were thin enough but too sweet for me. Salted nuts would have combatted the sweetness.

Amanda said...

Well they look gorgeous! I liked these cookies more than I thought I would. I keep nibbling at them LOL

Teanna said...

This dough is AMAZING! And the cookies are great too! Yours look gorgeous!

Linda said...

Okay, I totally expected my cookies to turn out like yours --- they look delicious! I loved these as well --- this recipe will definitely be repeated.

Unknown said...

Your cookies are gorgeous! I liked the dough too but the baked cookies weren't my favorite. Glad you enjoyed them.

steph- whisk/spoon said...

yes, mine were more like shortbread than lacey cookies. too. yours look great! (i also love macadamias)

TeaLady said...

Those look just right. I liked the thicker cookie - more bite for the buck. Yummy!