Tuesday, March 24, 2009

TWD - Blueberry Crumb Cake


This week’s TWD recipe was blueberry crumb cake and was chosen by Sihan of Befuddlement. I was really looking forward to making this recipe as the photo in the book looks really appealing. Unfortunately, even though the cake was delicious, my photos don’t look all that appealing.

This is quite a simple everyday cake that contains a whole two cups of blueberries (I used frozen as we are just out of blueberry season here). It is topped with a crumble topping which is reminiscent of apple crumble topping – a mixture of sugar, butter and flour with some chopped walnuts thrown in for good measure. I wanted to save the walnuts that I had for another purpose, so I used almonds instead.

The cake was really easy to make and bake. I was a little concerned that the mix was too much for the specified 20cm square tin and that it would over flow onto the bottom of my oven, but it baked up perfectly. It did take a little longer than the recipe said, which was interesting as most of Dorie’s recipes for cakes take less time than specified. The only issue that I had with the cake was that my blueberries sunk to the bottom. This was a shame. I wonder if it is because I used frozen berries, or maybe I should have coated them in flour before adding them to the mixture. I actually think next time I make this I will actually just scatter the blueberries on top to let them sink into the mixture themselves.

I did love this cake though, my favourite part being the crumble topping. See if the other TWDers also loved it, by looking here.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, it was hard to take a pretty picture of this cake. It was very delicious though.

Anonymous said...

It seems many people had problems with sinking berries - me included. Oh well - it's like a surprise at the bottom of the cake!

Jules Someone said...

I got lucky, and my berries didn't all sink. We loved this cake. Making it again soon!

Cakelaw said...

Hi Tammy, agree it was a delicious cake, and the topping was magnificent.

Engineer Baker said...

I don't know, I think that's one beautiful cake! I must have gotten lucky - my blueberries didn't sink at all. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Carla said...

I didn't use blueberries, but I know coating them in flour would help them from sinking. I think the sprinkling them on top would be a better method though. Looks good!

Sihan said...

The first picture was pretty good. Pity the berries sunk but at least your crumble turned out fine.. not like mine. *pouts*. Great job anyway and i'm glad that you liked the recipe!

kimberly salem said...

sorry the berries sank! it must have been a mixture of frozen and no flour coating. mine were ok, but i used fresh and coated w/ flour! i'm pretty sure the sinking doesn't affect the taste, though :)

Mermaid Sews said...

I had luck with the blueberries, but I took a suggestion off the Q&A and left about 1/3 of the berries out, poured the cake in the pan, and then poured the remaining berries on top and pushed them into the cake with a spatula then covered with crumb topping. Can't wait to post.

Judy said...

I agree with you -- the topping was my favorite part. I love blueberries, too, so that part was fine as well.

Elyse said...

Your cake looks so delicious! The crumb would definitely be my favorite part, too!

Marthe said...

My berries sunk to the bottom too.... But I did coat them with the flour... O well, it still tasted great!

Anonymous said...

My blueberries didn't sink. Definitely toss them with flour! Either way, the cake looks delicious!

Leslie said...

I think that's one attractive cake! Wasn't it delicious? My blueberries mostly stayed put but I did dust them with flour.

chocolatechic said...

Double the crumble.

Snooky doodle said...

I love crumb toppings. So good!!! this looks awesome :)

Fit Chick said...

Mine didn't sink but I made muffins. Your cake looks so good and we know it tasted better!

Anonymous said...

It still sounds lovely-I can imagine it's one of those cakes that are really hard to photograph!

TeaLady said...

CAke looks just right to me. Delicious.