Tuesday, November 25, 2008

TWD - Thanksgiving Twofer Pie


This week’s TWD recipe is Thanksgiving Twofer Pie chosen by Vibi of La Casserole carree. The pie combines two traditional thanksgiving pies – pumpkin pie and pecan pie, into one. Thanksgiving is obviously an American celebration and not celebrated here in NZ, so I didn’t wait and make this pie for Thanksgiving. I haven never made pecan pie or pumpkin pie before (in fact I don’t think I have tasted pumpkin pie before!) so I got to make both kinds of pies in one go.

I made little individual tarts rather than one big pie. I halved all of the mixtures. The base is a shortcrust base, with a pumpkin pie filling. The filling is made from pumpkin (I steamed and mashed this as we don’t have canned pumpkin here), cream and spices. You then top that with pecans and a caramel style mixture of brown sugar and eggs. You are also meant to use corn syrup, but that isn’t a cupboard staple in NZ and I forgot to buy some, so I used extra brown sugar instead.



The wee tarts turned out perfectly. They are really yummy, but I couldn’t really taste the pumpkin too much. I think I would prefer more filling and I would have got that effect if I had baked the pies in deeper dishes. I did enjoy making this little piece of America, and I hope that the TWDers in the States enjoy this Thanksgiving treat!

18 comments:

Di said...

I love the small tarts! I'm not that big a fan of either pumpkin or pecan pie, so I might have to try that so I don't end up with a big pie that I don't want to eat.

CB said...

Love to read your good reviews before I bake! Your minis are so cute! Great job!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Cakelaw said...

Lovely job! I struggled with the pastry on this one.

The Food Librarian said...

Wow! It's Monday already...I need to get baking! I love reading your blog first. Your mini's are so cute. Did you use pie dough for the crust, or a tart recipe? Did you partially bake the tart shell as well?

Marthe said...

The small tarts look sooooo cute!! I'll be making this last minute again....

Anonymous said...

I loved this pie. I thought it was great. I like your tartlets, they look delicious.

kimberly salem said...

your tartlets came out beautifully! i have yet to bake my pie, hope it turns out as well as yours (i'm making the full pie... good for me since i'm a fan of filling!)

Engineer Baker said...

Yours looks like the perfect texture though. Pumpkin probably doesn't stand up too well to pecan, so maybe if you scaled up the pumpkin layer and scaled down the pecan layer? Either way, it looks delicious!

Jacque said...

Mmmm, I can't wait to make mine later in the week. Yours looks delicious.

I'm glad you got to share in a little bit of this tradition :)

Unknown said...

Your pie looks wonderful...now I'm really looking forward to making it later this week.

Tammy said...

Hi Mary

I actually used tart dough (Dorie's tart dough) and I did pre-bake the tarts before filling and baking. Hope this helps

Tammy

Jules Someone said...

Nice job! Cute little minis. I would think that these are two flavors not meant to go together. Seems like they do!

vibi said...

Thank you so much for participating with me this Tuesday, Tammy!
Your minis look great... and you had lots of courage to bake them even, with ingredients so hard to find!

Jessica said...

I bet using fresh pumpkin made a big difference. Your minis are adorable - great job!

steph- whisk/spoon said...

they look great! i'm making mine tomorrow, and am excited! happy thanksgiving to you (i know, i know...)!

Heather B said...

I love your mini tarts! Great job!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I love the smaller size of your tarts...and they contain pumpkin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kimberly Johnson said...

Love the tiny little tarts! Great job!